Bridge upgrades completed in time for legendary climb to take its usual place in the Monument path opening the season
Next month, the Poggio will be featured in the Milan-San Remo final after confirmation of repair work on the road was completed on schedule, allowing the historic climb to be included as usual in the race route.
Reports surfaced at the end of last year that sustained bad weather had caused significant landslides on the road to Poggio di San Remo, causing major damage and closures.
It was then suggested that, in order for the Milan-San Remo race to be in useful condition in March, repairs worth £ 9 million would have to be carried out.
While after minor repairs the road remained open to some traffic, it was still said not to be in a state to host the race.
Pressure was suggested on race organisers RCS to pay the bill for the works, with things taking a more drastic turn last month when San Remo Mayor Alberto Biancheri said ‘ the Milan-San Remo can no longer be held ‘ due to the road condition.
It now seems, however, that the Poggio has been fixed to a reasonable degree to allow the race to take advantage of the climb, with current riders Peter Sagan and Philippe Gilbert both training on the climb this month.
The 2-mile Poggio will be able to take its rightful place in the last 6 miles of the one-day Classic with it reopened.
The Poggio’s slopes have been used as a springboard for victories for the past two seasons, with Vincenzo Nibali (2018) and Julian Alaphilippe (2019) keeping back after using it to strike from the main peloton.
Milan San-Remo is the season’s first Monument, and its 111th edition will be held on Saturday, March 21.
Nonetheless, defending champion Alaphilippe will not be there, opting to miss this year’s event in favour of racing in Paris-Nice.